New Leaders Elected to WHA Board of Directors
David Hartberg Named 2023 Chair-Elect
Vernon Memorial Hospital President and CEO David Hartberg was named chair-elect for 2023 at the Oct. 27 WHA Board of Directors meeting in Madison. Active in WHA councils and taskforces since 2015 and on the board since 2017, Hartberg serves as a member of the Council on Public Policy, Council on Rural Health, and the WHA Board Subcommittee on Health Care Reform.
New At-Large Directors (filling unexpired term)
David Hartberg is a "Wisconsinite," having grown up in Madison and Verona. He attended the University of Wisconsin-Madison and St. Cloud State University, receiving a B.A. in Physical Education/Athletic Training, later attending the University of Minnesota Carlson School of Management, receiving a Master’s in Healthcare Administration.
After a career start in Sports Medicine and then Corporate Compliance, David began his executive career in 1999 as a hospital CEO in rural Nebraska and has spent the last 23 years as a rural hospital CEO in the upper Midwest. In November 2019 he accepted the CEO position at Vernon Memorial Healthcare in Viroqua, WI. In addition to serving on the WHA Board since 2017, David also served as the RWHC Board President in 2021. He is married to Anne, a Montessori Teacher in Viroqua, and they have four kids and three grandkids.
Election of At-Large Directors
The following individuals were elected as At-Large Directors:
New At-Large Directors, to serve three-year terms beginning Jan. 1, 2023
- Luke Beirl, CEO, Hayward Memorial Hospital
- Ryan Neville, Chief Administrative Officer, Marshfield Medical Center–Weston, Stevens Point
- Brian Stephens, CEO, Door County Medical Center
Reappointed At-Large Directors, to serve three-year terms beginning Jan. 1, 2020
- Brian Charlier, President/CEO, HSHS St. Vincent & St. Mary’s Hospitals
- Scott Turner, President/COO, System EVP, Children’s Wisconsin
AHA Regional Policy Board 5 Delegate (filling unexpired term)
- Jeffrey Bahr, MD, Chief Medical Group Officer, Advocate Aurora Health (2nd term)
- Dan DeGroot, President/CEO, Stoughton Health (2nd term)
- Alan Kaplan, CEO, UW Health (2nd term)
- Dennis Potts, EVP/Operations, Advocate Aurora Health (2nd term)
- Bernie Sherry, SVP, Ascension Healthcare/Wisconsin Ministry Market Executive, Ascension